Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Poppy Silver -- An Artist to the Core

I am very honored to feature Poppy Silver.  She is from the United Kingdom, and she is an artist to the core of her being.  To name but only a few of her creative talents:  Writer, poet, composer, musician, vocalist, photographer, and tireless promoter of the arts and artists.

Much of her art raises awareness about social issues and human relations.  Poppy's art resonates well.  I present Poppy Silver:

Please note that all images in this article are © Poppy Silver.

Eaton:  What do you do?

Poppy:  I am foremost a writer and also a musician and a lover of taking photography. I began to write around twelve years by starting a novel which then progressed to poetry. I write and create music to exorcise demons and let a moment of beauty or bane breathe or seethe. Taking photographs is a challenge that fulfills me. I am always trying to capture the essence of nature or life in order to allow it speak through art.




Eaton:  What matters most to you?

Poppy:  I think this is a vast topic and one which has a lot of answers. One of the most important things to me would be to remain humble, remain the person I have always been. Not lose sight of the fact that I am human and there are so many other artists out there just as deserving of attention. Supporting other artists is incredibly important to me. Then you have the usual factors - family, maintaining health and so forth.

I guess to continue being an open minded, good-hearted person is what matters most to me. Seeking truth amidst the control we are all under everyday of our lives is a strong side to me as well. Also, nature is important to me, a mentor of sorts, helps me connect to what is important.




Eaton:  What is your vision or dream?  How has your view changed due to life experiences? 

Poppy:  I think as soon as we start to place dreams into order, we can become disappointed. I have no specific goal except to maintain the vision of art as one from the heart. Just to share art is to share the self. Each time I write a poem or lyrics or sing, I sacrifice a small part of myself, as many artists do. I think ultimately, if there is a vision or dream, it would be to understand life more, a dream most of us have.

I have changed a lot since beginning my artistic journey. Things no longer seem black or white. I address the shades of grey in-between as well. Losing my father changed me in a big way. Current health issues have also changed my perception of life and my work.

I have learned to ride the wave more, so to speak. If fate laughs at you, you have to learn to laugh back. This is my motto of late.

To me, these changes are inevitable, a growing process. It reflects in an artist’s work when they go through life changes. It shows in the way they deliver poetry or the way their voice is directed in songs. So, yes, a lot of changes are happening to my life right now and sometimes we have stand back and observe these changes from an outsider’s point of view and learn to take each day as it comes, cliche but true.

Eaton:  What is your motivation?  Who or what is your inspiration?

My motivation would be to expel emotions. My writing is mainly a quest, as I see it, to banish and yet revive. I write because it is my natural desire to do so.

My inspiration would be life itself, the journey of inner thoughts. The ultimate questions we hold about life and death, the offering of sanity through purge.

There are times when I have a specific thing in mind to vent about and there are times when I am influenced by the state of the world. My writing and my band’s songs can be emotive or politically driven. Both sides are to be explored within my mind. We all too often take so called facts at face value without questioning them and what better way to do so than through the vein of release – art.

So inspiration, to me, is taken from all facets of life and beyond. I sometimes write with no intention but to channel thoughts from the ether. As artists, I believe we open gate ways sometimes that lead us to write about what others are feeling too.

Eaton:  I perceive that your creativity is multifaceted:  You are a vocalist, a musician, a poet, a writer, a photographer.  Please share about each genre or media.  How do all of these tie together for you, or are they separate and distinct venues that allow you a creative escape from another form?  As I write this to you, I’m listening to Orbitally Re-Arranged Monatomic Elements; each song has a message.  Each song shows powerful a video that I, as a student of history, enjoy viewing.  Who composes the songs?  What is the intent of the music?  What is the future of the band?

Poppy:  I think all are equal sides to myself, they go hand in hand. As a writer, I use the skills poetically to influence lyrics and how I feel when I sing the song. Music to me adds the wave forms that move the words. Both poetry and music are like brother and sister to me. I actually find writing poetry easier than lyrics. Lyrics are always crafted in a different manner, condensed to have more impact.

It is hard to divide these elements. I class myself more a writer than poet as I write myriad formats of writing.

Photography is a sheer pleasure for me. It enhances the powerful side of life that can be captured and remain forever. Photography is a huge influence to my art. I also manipulate photography to add words to or write about, distorting reality, so to speak.




As for the videos my band creates. I feel it makes a change to have footage to a video that does not include the artists themselves. No way is the better way. There are so many bands out there that use only footage of themselves and this is more than fine. I do feel though, if you have a song that lyrically represents something, you can take that further by imagery. That is what we attempt to do through our videos.

The intent of the music is open the mind, to carry people through an emotional journey or to shed some light on political issues. To find some balance in all the deceit around us. Our music is a release of chaotic thoughts and feelings to a purge of seeking insight in the darkness.

We both compose the music. We both have an equal say in what the lyrics are and what goes into the music so it is pretty much a joint thing although, as in many bands, sometimes, one person runs with it more than the other, as in, sometimes ideas come to one and they may have a different way of executing them to the other people. On the whole, our music is usually equally composed.

For the future of the band, I simply want to reach an audience in the way that they resonate with what they read and hear. Ultimately, that is all an artist can hope for and remain real in the process.

Eaton:  Is there is a poem, or spoken word you want to share in this article?  What details can you provide about this work?
  
Poppy:  I shall include a link to my spoken word poem, “Welcome to Dajjal.”

“Welcome to Dajjal” is a political poem. It was written after I had just read about the war in Iraq. The poem speaks for itself. The devastation caused through things such as HAARP, FEMA camps and vaccinations to name a few. It all accumulates into a poem that alerts people to these things.

We are definitely cattle in this life to the elite.

This poem is telling humanity to gain their power back, through love and not violence.

“There is no division. We are all equal.”

Eaton's note:  "Welcome to Dajjal" is on Youtube.  Please click on the link to see and to listen:  Welcome to Dajjal.

Eaton:  What future plans and/or goals do you want to share publicly? 

Poppy:  We are currently working with a band called Controlled Disorder on four songs. This is taking precedence at this time. It is a great honour for us to collaborate with them.

Eaton:  Have you any upcoming performances, readings, exhibitions, or publications? 

Poppy:  We are also working on a new spoken word album for my poetry. This album will be a mixture of genres with a soundscape like my last album. I am also putting together a book of poetry and thinking about a photography book along with Haiku as well.

Music wise, we have five new tracks to complete and shall hopefully be releasing an Acoustic EP in the near future.

...

Poppy's artwork, her collaborative work with other artists, and her promotion of the arts and artists can be found at the following websites:

Listen to the music by Orbitally Re-Arranged Monatomic Elements:  O.R.M.E.

Poppy is also partner to a website called Apollo Blessed.  It is a platform to share all forms of art, and all artists are welcome there.  I am a member of Apollo Blessed, and it is a very nice place to share and to get to see what other artists are doing.

Take a look at the Apollo Blessed site:  Apollo Blessed.



6 comments:

  1. And a beauty to boot. ¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨¨*•.¸

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Poppy, light in my life, all this and so much more.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppy is one of those rare spirits who can touch so many different people in such positive ways.

      Delete
  3. Poopy is an amazing individual with versatile personality. Thank for everything dearie :).

    Vikrantsingh Parmar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no doubt that Poppy is a true artist and beautiful person... her life has meaning and it is an honor to read her, hear her and know her...

    Aztec

    ReplyDelete